Thursday, May 25, 2017

SDCUE Innovative Educator and Innovative TOSA Honored at CFF Award Event



Last night, Classroom of the Future Foundation held their annual Innovations in Education Awards event. It was a fabulous night at Sea World, connecting with fellow educators, as well as local community and business leaders, and learning about all the innovative programs happening around the county.

SDCUE was proud to honor two of our members who earned our SDCUE Innovative Educator and Innovative TOSA awards.

Heather Love-Fleck, from Oceanside, received the Innovative TOSA award. Heather explains her innovative approach:

Innovation is an important theme within the STEM Lab (my classroom) at Stuart Mesa elementary school. In the STEM Lab, I facilitate student exploration and learning in grades K-8. I encourage all students to wonder, question, collaborate, fail, and reflect on everything they do, which embodies the “Innovator’s Mindset.” In grades K-5, I begin all activities with a driving question or challenge for students to explore. As students research and begin prototyping their solutions, I support them by asking questions, sharing my observations, wondering aloud, and encouraging them to reflect on “what did and did not work.” My middle school students (grades 6-8) have the opportunity to personalize their learning during their time in the STEM Lab. I encourage them to research STEM topics that they are passionate about. I believe that when students are working on projects that are meaningful, they are more likely to problem solve and take risks. Students in the STEM Lab often struggle and feel frustrated when things don’t work immediately, but I constantly encourage them to think critically and persevere. Students are empowered and excited when their resilience brings them success, and I absolutely love being part of that excitement!

Learn more about Heather by watching her video submission.

Allison Slattery, of Bonsall Elementary, received the Innovative Educator award. Her ticket to innovation lies within her commitment to being a lifelong learner:

I know it is cliche to say but I am a lifelong learner. The students I am privileged to work with teach me something new each day. As a learner I seek out Edcamps, technology conferences, and Open Educational Resources to enrich my classroom. As the technology lead for my campus I am given staff development time to share ideas and resources with my colleagues. Our school motto is to work hard, be inspired, think of others, and dream big. Students in my room are encouraged to take chances and understand the greatest learning occurs when we make mistakes. We understand working collaboratively is more powerful than working as individuals. Yet, individual contributions are respected and we actively listen to the ideas of others. We are creators more often than we are consumers. Troubleshooting and adapting to constant changes in technology allow the students in my class to form lasting habits that will benefit them in their unpredictable futures. The changes I have witnessed over my 20 year career in education have been enormous. Teaching students to navigate in a world where growth is exponential and change is unavoidable, human creativity, collaboration, and flexibility are key.

Learn more about Allison by watching her video submission.

We congratulate both of these ladies, as well as everyone who was presented an honor at the event.






No comments:

Post a Comment